A Dinner with the Shorts Family in 1938

In July 1938, Arthur Rothstein took photographs of Aliquippa, Pennsylvania, a steel mill town on the Ohio River. Included among the photos of the mill and the workers, are a set of images of the Shorts Family. The family certainly knew they were being photographed. Just because the photos were not candid, doesn't mean they aren't a valuable insight into one day and one dinner in the life of a family 85 years ago.


The Shorts Family


Main Street of Aliquippa, Pennsylvania in 1938


Change of shift. Steel plant on the Ohio River. Aliquippa, Pennsylvania


Clifford Shorts, his wife, and their children on the front porch


Mrs. Shorts cooking dinner


Helping his son with dinner


A good view of the meal


Mrs. Shorts washing the dishes


Arthur Rothstein, FSA (Farm Security Administration) photographer
These photos and more can all be found at the Library of Congress.

Comments

  1. Hi! I follow your FB page and saw your post about starting up this blog. Looks like fun, I can't wait to read more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope this works, I have enjoyed your posts on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating. It's part of our history that's usually ignored.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed looking at the pictures of this family! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I really enjoyed looking at these photos. By checking Ancestry.com, I learned the wife was named Catherine, the young boys were Clifford Jr., Kenneth and Ronald and the little girl was Bernice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just Robbie here. I really like this. Got two series all together. Nice. My only problem is that I can't enlarge these photos. Maybe I can if I play with it a bit more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts